To follow is an abbreviated version of a message I recently received from Intero’s President and CEO that I thought you would find valuable.
By Gino Blefari
President & CEO
Intero Real Estate Services, Inc.
Being happy in life is the first step to success, in my mind. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t come from fame, fortune, other people, or material possessions. Rather, it comes from within. You can choose to be happy or you can choose to be unhappy. It’s all up to you. Happy people are happy because they make themselves happy. They maintain a positive outlook on life and remain at peace with themselves.
The question is: how do they do that?
It’s quite simple. Happy people have good habits that enhance their lives. They do things differently. Check out this great list that outlines some of the things that make happy people, well, happy. It was written by Chiara Fucarino, a freelance writer, on the blog Successify! and was recommended to me by Eric Rees, Intero’s Director of Information Technology.
Ask any happy person, and they will tell you that they …
- Don’t hold grudges.
- Treat everyone with kindness.
- See problems as challenges.
- Express gratitude for what they already have.
- Dream big.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff.
- Speak well of others.
- Never make excuses.
- Get absorbed into the present.
- Wake up at the same time every morning.
- Avoid social comparison.
- Choose friends wisely.
- Never seek approval from others.
- Take the time to listen.
- Nurture social relationships.
- Eat well.
- 19. Live minimally.
- Tell the truth.
- Establish personal control
- Accept what cannot be changed.